Imagination is more important than knowledge.
— Albert Einstein
Improvisation and Theatre Games
Theatre Games and Improvisation is designed to give seniors the opportunity to engage in creative group activity in the expressive environment that is safe, fun and dynamic. The goal is to have fun through the use of spontaneous group games. Improvisation combines the excitement of spontaneous activity within the structure and stability of dramatic frameworks.
Neuroscience shows that the brain is hard wired for movement first and it is movement that informs interpretation. Mindfully incorporating movement in the play space is not only creatively enriching, personally and physically therapeutic but strengthens the brain's capacity for memory and response leading to better brain functioning and overall health.
Participation in improvisation provides many benefits. While they may be different from person to person some of the benefits include developing and improving your ability to:
- Have fun
- Raise your energy level
- Raise your level of creativity
- Reduce your stress
- Energize your sense of play
- Increase your cognitive flexibility (Improvisation is great brain food!
- Bring out your inner artist/playfulness
- Interact productively
- Offer and accept creative ideas
- Honor and respect the gifts and talents of others and yourself